miércoles, 17 de octubre de 2012

La Roja

 I'm going to keep this one quick since realistically I'm writing it as a form of procrastinating from studying for my Spanish midterm. Last night on a whim me and 10 of my friends bought tickets for the World Cup Qualifier game between Spain and France. Being a huge soccer fan and especially a huge Spain fan (since when I was 12 we didn't have a team worth rooting for and its still true today) it was an awesome opportunity that I couldn't pass up and especially being abroad a lot of things we do are unplanned and on the whim, thats half the fun of it. Hopping on the metro down there was an experience in its own, the train was packeddd legit I'd rather of been a sardine in a can then go through being squished and unintentionally (I hope) groped by random people. At the stadium stop everyone flooded off onto the platform and it took a good 15 minutes to get out of the station with all of the traffic. The streets were much of the same story, once you got to within 2 blocks of the stadium streets were blocked off and filled with people. If the atmosphere outside the stadium wasn't already cool enough the atmosphere inside was even crazier. Since it was an international match and for 1st place of Group I for the 2014 World Cup stakes were high and of course all of us took the game seriously so for the few hundred French fans it meant living in hell for a good 3 hours or so.

 We had an awesome view of the field from behind the goal and the game was a good one... for the first half. Spain scored early which got everyone amped up, and then it started to fall apart; Fabregas (supposed to be one of the better players for Spain but anyone who knows anything knows its not true) missed a PK at the end of the first and then the second half was some of the sloppiest soccer I've ever seen. It looked like they eek out the win though and in the 93rd minute we were all up on our feet cheering the win in anticipation for the final whistle, and then the nightmare came true. The new right defender Juanfran, who had just been called up this year to fill in for the injured legend Puyol, made a careless mistake and to make a long story short France scored in the 94th minute to tie it. The tie was disappointing but it was still an amazing experience and awesome to get to see the national team play, I will definitely never forget it.
 Getting home was interesting, we figured since the green line would be packed we'd walk to the grey line since it looked close on the metro map... note to self metro maps aren't made to scale. So I asked a cop for directions and he tells me its over the bridge and a 20 min walk from there. To save myself all of the embarrassment we ended up walking 45 mins wayyyyy out of the way and catching the yellow line instead like 2 miles from where the stop we were trying to find was. Yeah I'm great with directions I know. Alright back to studying for spanish, wish me luck! Nos vemos

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario